Sunday, January 27, 2013

Building Tens... and a Teacher

I am so excited to have a student teacher assigned to me.  Even though being with me is just one building block of her teaching education, I am honored to have the opportunity to help a future teacher.  It was a pretty quick turnaround from the time I was asked to the time she arrived in my classroom, four days to be exact- and that is counting a weekend, but all in all, having her is a total blessing!  It has consumed some of my time, though... hence the reason I have not posted in a couple of weeks.  It is a good thing I didn't set posting requirements for my new year's resolution... just that I would keep it up.  :)

We are working on building numbers in math, especially building ten.  We have been using two different colored Unifix cubes to build ten.  We also made building number sliders. I will post a picture of them as soon as I take one. I am posting it as a free file on TpT for now... that may change so grab your free copy while you can. The students had fun making the contraptions and they thought they were really cool... hopefully they are using them at  home to practice learning the number combinations.  I have now made a building flashcards file that I hope to incorporate.  Since I am not making math plans anymore, that may be difficult to do, but if nothing else, I might make it a morning option for when the kids are arriving at school. One reason it is a building flashcards file, and not just a flashcards file is because the teacher can choose different backs for the cards. Some students are at a level where they just need to see the two numbers with an "and" between them, some can handle the "+", and others can make an equation out of it.  Still others may be able to turn them around to make a subtraction equation as well. The other reason it is a "building flashcards"  file is because the students get to color the cards in, or use Bingo dabbers, which is what mine will do.  I think they will really enjoy that.  I am hoping that the students will give the cards extra care and use since they had a hand in making them.

Another item I made is a building ten center.  The students use beans, chips or printed circles to fill ten frames and record the numbers.  I have made that differentiated as well, for the same reasons listed above.  You can click on the picture captions to bring you to where items can be downloaded/purchased.


Building Numbers Slide

Build Your Own Ten Frame Flashcards
Differentiated Building Ten Frame Center

No comments:

Post a Comment