Sunday, February 10, 2013

Making Sight Word Fluency Fun

My students practice reading the sight words in a flip chart every day... pretty mundane... I would love to try to make the experience fun everyday, but there is only so much time...  I try to make up for that routine practice by playing sight word games.  Each week I try to fit a sight word game into either my group or my teacher assistant's group.  This week we will be playing a Valentine themed game... Love at First Sight. The object of the game is to read the most sight words "at first sight".  When it is a player's turn, he/she rolls a cube or spins a spinner (Both options are included in the game).  The number he/she gets determines the number of cards he/she gets to try to read. Players who are waiting for their turn are not excused from thinking as I have built in two options to keep them engaged.  One, there is a sheet for them to find and circle the words that are read, and two- there is a little card that they put in front of them to show whether or not they could read the cards the player has drawn.  If the player's whose turn it is can not read a word, another player can try to earn the point by reading it. This game is available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store, but you can get a free copy by going here because I love you for reading my blog.  :)  Speaking of Valentine's Day, my fabulous student teacher, Ana Strafford, has planned a problem solution activity for this week with the book The Biggest Valentine Ever by Steven Kroll.  I made up a sheet with some cute Scrappin'Doodles clip art, a border from Anita Goodwin (you can visit her blog here), and a font from Hello Literacy.  You can get a copy of the response sheet here. It has two options, one with lines for writing and one with blank spaces for picture drawing.  I usually copy both back to back and give my students a choice. Have a great Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment